The question for every logistics company is how to maximize performance and supply chain security. The latest generation of smart logistics solutions can help, with tools for optimized vehicle and dock management, end-to-end order tracking, fleet management, employee health & safety, and more, says Harvey Zheng, Senior Solution Manager for Logistics Industry at Hikvision.
Supply chain globalization, the booming e-commerce market and rising demand for manufactured goods have all driven growth in the logistics industry. To take full advantage of this industry boom, logistics companies need to maximize their performance and throughput, while tracking and securing many thousands of orders and deliveries every day.
But optimizing logistics operations is easier said than done. One major issue is that logistics managers often lack the real-time information they need to make fast, accurate decisions. For example, they may not be able to see which facilities are experiencing performance issues, which orders have been delayed and why, or which partners are missing their delivery SLAs.
The solution: next-generation logistics management solutions
To solve these and other challenges, more companies are turning to advanced technology for help. They’re implementing the equipment, applications, software, and tools needed to gain better visibility and control over their logistics operations.
Next-generation logistics management solutions also make the global supply chain more customer-centric and sustainable. By automating logistics processes, for instance, organizations can enhance the productivity and efficiency of their workflows; increase transparency and traceability in their supply chains; and maintain flexible and dynamic relationships with their stakeholders.
The role of smart video in logistics management
One key technology for next-generation logistics management is smart video, an evolution of the cameras that companies have been using in their warehouses, distribution centers (DCs), and yards for decades.
While traditional cameras were used for security monitoring only, smart video solutions use AI, machine learning and other advanced technologies to boost efficiency, productivity, and even worker health and safety.
The top benefits of smart video
By taking the decision to deploy industry leading smart video solutions as part of their logistics management environment, companies can:
- Enhance personnel management and health and safety
with AI algorithms that send alerts automatically if employees are not wearing the required protective equipment, or if they get to close to dangerous machinery, for example.
- Optimize vehicle and dock management: With dashboards that display the status of each loading dock in real time, which allow vehicles to load and unload more quickly and help to maximize efficiency and throughput.
- Improve goods and order tracking: Based on the ability to create an automated, secure, and fully trackable goods management process. This supports the secure flow of goods at one site (or across multiple sites) and includes solutions for accurate, secure goods scanning, tracking and delivery.
- Increase site security: Based on perimeter protection solutions that provide crystal-clear video footage, even in zero-light environments. Radar and dome cameras can also be combined to detect any unauthorized people or vehicles entering the site; and to trigger automated alerts for any suspicious movements.
- Optimize fleet Management: With on-board infrastructure that monitors vehicles’ interiors and their surroundings. These systems also feature a powerful software platform for live view, video playback, GIS map locations, device health monitoring, fuel consumption checking, goods quality monitoring, emergency alarms, and more.