Synology launched today the RackStation RS1221+ and RS1221RP+ (redundant power) 2U 8-bay rackmounted storage servers built to deliver high performance in a space-efficient form factor.
“The RS1221+ and RP+ units are designed for the small-business sector, and indeed, “small” they are,” said Michael Wang, Synology Product Manager. “These units not only pack in a huge leap forward in performance, but do it at a modest depth for 2U units in their class. What’s more, for businesses who require higher availability, the RP+ version is equipped with dual power supplies for redundancy and added reliability.”
Breaking new grounds
The RS1221+ and RS1221RP+ are the first RackStation series units built around the AMD Ryzen V1500B processor. Compared to their predecessor1, they deliver 3.6X higher compute performance2, 3.8X random read IOPS at 108K, and 2.3x higher sequential write performance at 1,147 MB/s. This translates to faster performance in data management and backup tasks and allows businesses to scale to higher numbers of concurrent users and services while maintaining a high performance output.
Compact servers for space-sensitive deployments
At only 306.6 mm and 407.5 mm deep (including front server handles), the RS1221+ and RS1221RP+ are less than half the depth of standard 2U rackmounted devices, making them ideal for smaller rackmount enclosures, such as wall mounted cabinets, or two-post racks (RS1221+ only), where space is at a premium.
Customizable to meet business requirements
The units are configured with 4 GB of DDR4 ECC memory by default, upgradable to 32 GB. Its PCIe 3.0 slot enables easy upgrading to 10GbE with a compatible NIC3, or to add super-fast NVMe cache via Synology M.2 cards and Synology SVN3000 series SSDs4. The units can scale to 12 drive bays using an RX418 expansion unit5 and compatible drives6. For businesses wanting extended support, its 3-year limited warranty can be extended to 5 years7.
Making data management and protection a breeze
Synology Diskstation Manager (DSM), Synology’s unified operating system, simplifies difficult and cumbersome data management processes while still giving users ample control over decisions that matter. It enables backup of IT infrastructure with the Synology Active Backup suite and hosting of on-premises private cloud with Synology Drive, virtual machines with Virtual Machine Manager, mail servers with MailPlus, and other SaaS services.
RS1221+ and RS1221RP+ are available starting today from Synology resellers globally.
- The predecessor, the RS1219+ contains an Intel®Atom® C2538 processor.
- Performance figures are achieved in the Synology lab with optimized network and configuration settings. Actual performance could vary in different environments. Comparison done against prior-generation RS1219+. For full details on the test setup, please visit the Synology performance page.
- Check our compatibility list for compatible Network Interface Cards.
- 2 SSD cache can be enabled using the E10M20-T1 and M2D20 M.2 SSD adapter cards with two Synology SNV3500 or SNV3400 NVMe SSDs. SSD caching is also supported via SFF (2.5″) SSDs.
- The capacity of the RS1221+ and RS1221RP+ can be expanded using a Synology RX418 expansion unit, purchased separately.
- Supports LFF (3.5″) or SFF (2.5″) SATA drives. Check our compatibility list for validated drives.
- RS1221+ and RS1221RP+ include a 3-year limited hardware warranty, which can be extended to 5-years with the optional EW202 bundle, a 2-year Extended Warranty service add-on.